Saturday 6 November 2010

Coming from svn background, what should I watch out for in Perforce?

It's been a while since I used perforce, but one thing I remember is having to "check out" files before editing them. This may have been a config option at the company I worked at... but you have all the files in your workspace but they are read-only until you check them out.

Most IDEs have a plugin for P4 that probably does this for you when you start to edit the file... for Java, I know that the Eclipse and IntelliJ plugins did.

Perforce has a nice concept of change lists which really gives you the freedom to pick and choose what you want to check in right now.

Their command line and UI clients are awesome.

On a personal note, it was one of the more pleasant version control systems I have used.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment