Saturday 6 November 2010

How can I tell P4SCC to ignore files?

I started on a new project a few months ago and am forced to use perforce (pun intended). I have experience with a variety of distributed and monolithic VCS, especially SVN with Ankh as SC plugin in visual studio...that said, I have been evading some..quirks perforce has by applying various workarounds you can find, mainly here on SO. This issue though is something I do not want to give up on so fast, so I hope some of you guys can help me out with it.

I installed the P4SCC plugin in my VS 2010, and at least I got to open the solution and it seems to work as expected. But since VS creates a bunch of metafiles, namely *.vspscc and other scc files, the plugin lists thos in the "pending checkins" window. In P4V you can just revert files marked for add and they will be ignored, even though they remain in the file system...not so here. Apparently P4 does not consider the files as "added" or "changed", so will not revert. Since the files are not part of the solution or projects (at least according to VS), they do not show up in the solution explorer and therefor I cannot use the "File->Source Control->Remove file from source control" option.

I tried different things to ignore those files, since I do not want to check them into the repository. Sadly, I only find ways to get files out of the view in P4V as described here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/55449/can-you-ignore-a-file-in-perforce Since I told P4SCC to use the same workspace as I do in P4V, I expected those changes to apply to it as well...but once again perforce has NOT behaved as I would have expected.

The temptation is getting bigger to just check in the darn things (alghough there's easily 100+ of them...), but that just seems wrong. So my question is:

Is there any way, no matter how hacky, to get P4SCC to ignore these files, or any files in that manner?


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment